Role: Primarily Front-of-House
Pay: $18/hour + equal share of annual surplus distribution (starting 2021)
Likely Hours: M-F, 12 PM to 8 PM
Start Date: October 1, 2020 (appx)
Application Deadline: 9/28 @ 10 AM (or until filled)
Mirisata is about to become Oregon’s first and only Sri Lankan restaurant, the world’s first and only vegan Sri Lankan restaurant, and Portland’s only worker-owned restaurant. We are gearing up to open in early October, so we are seeking to expand our cooperative!
This is a unique opportunity to become an equal worker-owner of a new cooperatively-run business. We are doing things very differently from how restaurants are typically run, so we’re looking for folks who are excited to work together to build a thriving business with strong collaboration and communication.
Desired Experience & Qualifications
These are not requirements -- if you meet at least a few of them, please consider applying.
- Demonstrated ability to work well in small teams, particularly in restaurant or food service settings
- An interest in vegan cooking, Sri Lankan or other Asian foods, and/or worker-owned cooperatives
- Experience setting up and/or operating various restaurant delivery apps and/or POS systems
- Experience working in a start-up environment
- Cafe, bar, or front-of-house management or leadership experience
- Intention to remain a worker-owner for a minimum of 2 years
- Flexible schedule
- Multnomah County Food Handlers card + OLCC server permit
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs
- Willingness to wear a facemask during work hours (reliably covering nose and mouth)
As worker-owners, we all contribute wherever is needed and avoid hyper-specialized roles. However, we do each have certain tasks that we’re primarily responsible for. For this role, those include:
- Greet customers and take orders for takeout
- Communicate orders with the kitchen; pack and fulfil takeout and delivery orders
- Maintain menus and inventories on our website and delivery apps
- Attend meetings and participate in cooperative decision-making
- Maintain inventory of beverages & takeout packaging
Other responsibilities may include:
- Doing dishes and cleaning during downtime
- Helping kitchen with breads, sambols, and short eats (fried foods)
- Measuring spices and other light food prep
New workers participate in a three month trial period before becoming full worker-owners. During this time, you will be paid the same as all other workers and be invited to participate in decision-making conversations, though will not have a formal vote. The trial period may be terminated at any time by 2/3rds vote of the current worker-owners. If the trial period goes smoothly and everyone feels this is a good fit, you will be invited to become a member of the LLC and officially become a worker-owner on January 1, 2021
Cooperative meetings are held on an as-needed basis (at least one a month), plus an annual membership meeting. Member-owners do not collect a wage for time spent in cooperative or membership meetings. Our operating agreement dictates various voting thresholds required to make different decisions, though we always strive to make decisions on a consensus basis.
We particularly encourage applications from people of color, LGBTQ+ folks, women, and others who may have felt excluded or uncomfortable in traditional restaurant settings.
Initial interviews will be quick and over the phone; second interviews will be in person, outdoors, and masked. Interview questions will be provided one hour ahead of the interview to allow applicants to collect their thoughts.
Our cooperative is taking COVID very seriously and expect the same from any new additions. We will only be doing takeout and delivery for now (though may have some outdoor seating for people to sit and eat their takeout).Feel free to contact us with any questions. Otherwise, please email MirisataPDX (at) gmail (dot) com with a short note explaining your interest (in the body of the email), resume (attached as a PDF), and three references (can be former co-workers, not necessarily bosses). Thank you!