Open Position: Full-time Worker-Owner (BOH)
Role: Primarily Back-of-House ("prep cook")
Pay: $18/hour + equal share of annual surplus distribution (starting early 2021)
Hours: Wed-Sun (five 8-hour shifts TBD)
Open until filled
Mirisata is Oregon’s first and only Sri Lankan restaurant, the world’s first and only vegan Sri Lankan restaurant, and Portland’s only worker-owned restaurant. We opened on October 1st and have stayed consistently busy, so we need to bring on another FT worker.
This is a unique opportunity to become an equal worker-owner of a new cooperatively-run business. We are doing things very differently from how restaurants are typically run, so we’re looking for folks who are excited to work together to build a thriving business with strong collaboration and communication.
Desired Experience & Qualifications
These are not requirements -- we’ll work with the right person to build up their skills
- Demonstrated ability to work well in small teams, particularly in restaurant or food service settings
- An interest in vegan cooking, Sri Lankan or other Asian foods, and/or worker-owned cooperatives
- Back-of-house experience with attention to detail and decent knife skills
- Experience working in a start-up environment
- Intention to remain a worker-owner for a minimum of 2 years
- Flexible schedule
- Multnomah County Food Handlers card + OLCC server permit
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs
As worker-owners, we all contribute wherever is needed and avoid hyper-specialized roles. However, we do each have certain tasks that we’re primarily responsible for. For this role, those include:
- Preparing dough for roti
- Preparing string hoppers, sambols, and other sides
- Preparing short eats (fried foods), desserts, and beverages
- Plating meals during rush periods
- Measuring spices
- Attending meetings and participate in cooperative decision-making
- Doing dishes and cleaning during downtime
- Vegetable prep
- Operating POS and helping customers
- Grocery runs
New workers participate in a three month trial period before becoming full worker-owners. During this time, you will be paid the same as all other workers and be invited to participate in decision-making conversations, though will not have a formal vote. The trial period may be terminated at any time by 2/3rds vote of the current worker-owners. If the trial period goes smoothly and everyone feels this is a good fit, you will be invited to become a member of the LLC and officially become a worker-owner on February 1, 2021
Cooperative meetings are held on an as-needed basis, plus an annual membership meeting. Member-owners do not collect a wage for time spent in cooperative or membership meetings. Our operating agreement dictates various voting thresholds required to make different decisions, though we always strive to make decisions on a consensus basis.
We particularly encourage applications from people of color, LGBTQ+ folks, women, and other people who may have felt excluded or uncomfortable in traditional restaurant settings.
Initial interviews will be quick and over the phone; second interviews will be in person, outdoors, and masked. Interview questions will be provided one hour ahead of the interview to allow applicants to collect their thoughts.
Feel free to contact us with any questions. Otherwise, please email MirisataPDX@gmail.com with a short note explaining your interest (in the body of the email), resume (attached as a PDF), and three references (can be former co-workers, not necessarily bosses).